In the French department of Gironde, a listed, large, 18th century chateau on an estate with 77 ha, including a 45-ha vineyard.
25 km from Bordeaux (TGV train station and international airport), 3 km from slip roads for the A10 motorway.
In the Upper Gironde, there where the waters of the Dordogne, Garonne and the Atlantic come together to form the biggest estuary in western Europe.
In a region able to satisfy all those interested in learning about nature, culture, vineyards and local gastronomy.
In the midst of pleasant and varied landscapes composed of vineyards, forests, marshland, lakes and rivers as well as small ports, towns and delightful villages, citadels, wine chateaux and Romanesque churches.
This 77-ha estate is right there, just a stones throw from the estuary, filling a wide dale dominating the Dordogne Valley. It comprises some 50 ha of vineyard, 45 ha of which are planted, 8 ha of coppice stand and seedling forest, 9 ha of grasslands and 10 ha of parklands and green open spaces.
This chateau is built on a large esplanade laid out in the midst of the estate and reached via a beautiful driveway lined with plane trees, over two hundred years old. The outbuildings, set out around the building, include an old water tower on a lower level near a fish-breeding pool, with an impressive dovecote above, then buildings composed of fermenting sheds, wine storehouses and the stewards cottage.
All the buildings are listed.
The chateauIts original owner entrusted its construction around 1786 to a famous architect. His mission was to build a large building composed of two houses linked to one another: at the back, by a vast colonnade topped in its centre by a rotunda, crowned with a cupola; and, at the front, by outbuildings laid out in a semi-circle on either side of a chapel. But, appointed to a high-ranking position, the owner stopped the works two years after they were started in fear of being suspected of using public money to complete the building of his chateau. His wisdom was not to bring him luck as the French Revolution began and he was guillotined in 1794, leaving the building unfinished.
Nevertheless, a significant amount of work had already been carried out after just two years of works as the west house and the semi-circular building comprising the outbuildings had been completed.
This shows the considered means implemented to construct a building (chateau plus the semi-circular outbuildings) that spans a total net floor surface area of more than 3,000 m² in such a short time. Raw materials for the property were taken from the quarries on site, generating several miles of underground tunnels, part of which was used as wine-making cellars.
The house comprises two wings set at right angles: one, laid out all on one level, faces south-west and comprises the state rooms, the other facing north west, laid out over three levels topped with an attic floor, would seem to have been intended for family life, despite its spacious rooms.
The south-west wing is linked to the semi-circular outbuildings via a porch opening into a vestibule enhanced with a 2-column portico, extended by a few wide stone steps without balusters.
The outside of the building is in a good state of repair; notably the roof which was completely redone thirty or so years ago and has been maintained on an annual basis ever since.
Meticulously preserved and spanning a surface area of more than 600 m², this level comprises all the state rooms specific to large chateaux of the time, with a majestic entrance vestibule, housing a large main stairway, large and small lounges, a large dining room, a library, a billiards room, etc. All these rooms are accessed via several galleries.
This level, like the others, still has all of its original features but in its present condition, devoid of home ...
Wohnfläche: 3.000,00 m², Anzahl der Schlafzimmer: 15, Bundesland: Aquitaine