An eight-century old, family home 100 km from Paris in the Tardenois region.
This is a land of culture with the house of the Claudels and that of La-Fontaine. It is also a land of war with, in particular, the Battle of the Marne which left numerous vestiges throughout the countryside, notably the military cemeteries. They stand as a reminder of this war. Chalmont Hill or Butte, not far from the market town, acts as a shrine, providing 360° panoramic views over the surrounding countryside. This site is now marked by sculptor Paul-Landowskis huge memorial, named The Phantoms, which was given French Historic Monument classification as of its creation in 1934.
On the edge of the Tardenois region, between Paris and Reims, these vast undulating landscapes comprising farmland and forests, were spared by the industrial revolution.
The market town owes its fame to the imposing presence of its church, which looks down on to the village. The old centre developed along the two main roads in the lowland, forming narrow streets of adjoining houses, aligned alongside the streets. On the heights, the old site of the castle still houses the church. Below the latter, circular lime tree-lined malls delimit the area and are spread out over several levels. Numerous troglodyte caves, known locally as creuttes, to the east of the town, are still used as warehouses by the inhabitants. The town also still has its covered market place. Today, this little market town, with its shops and schools, forms the setting for this property which is completely enclosed by a 19th century perimeter wall.
Large numbers of Knights Templars and commanderies were to be found in the region as of the 12th century. They founded an establishment in the midst of the village in 1177. It was at this time that this large house, with its original ground floor, dating from the medieval era, was built. It then became home to leading local citizens and underwent major transformation works in the 17th and 18th centuries. Interior conversion works were also carried out in the 19th century. From its original Christian origins, it still has a wayside cross which, dating from the 19th century, adjoins the fence. It is an integral part of the property.
Whatever the case, it could have been described as a house in the town and a house in the fields by Jean-de-la-Fontaine, who lived in the neighbouring town of Château-Thierry. In fact, on one side, the residence is in the centre of a market town, facing the town hall, whilst on the other side it is at the end of parklands, with gates opening on to the surrounding fields. These premises get all their charm from the magical dimension of this dual, opposing aspect. Its residents are fully part of the village way of life and, at the same time, able to get easily away into the beautiful Tardenois countryside.
The houseThis house provides glimpses of the various eras of its long life, from the Knights Templars in the Middle-Ages through to 19th century middle-class salons. The building, constructed from large blocks of local stone, rendered on the facade and left exposed on the gables, is protected by a slate roof. It stands facing a garden, laid to lawn, with a central, paved alleyway leading to the front door. The various eras are to be seen in the different styles of the windows. The facade reflects a very real harmony despite the differences in levels as, on one side, there are obviously two levels as opposed to three on the other. Apart from this, the facade is sober, without any particular ornamentation, other than two string courses and an old wisteria, growing around the front door.
The front door opens into a vestibule, with coloured cement floor tiles and a majestic, straight stone stairway, providing a viewpoint. On one side of this entrance hall is a ...
Anzahl der Schlafzimmer: 8, Anzahl der Badezimmer: 2, Bundesland: Picardie